7.1. General information and security measures
The system of ignition is intended for ignition of fuel-air mix in each cylinder in precisely determined timepoint. In petrol engines it is reached at the expense of the electric spark (electric discharge) created between spark plug electrodes.
Reliable work of ignition in all range of operation of the engine is an essential factor of overall performance of catalytic converter.
Ignition by a spark of a small cloud of fine fuel-air mix is enough for initiation of all process of ignition.
Basic elements of system of ignition turn on the rechargeable battery, the distributor of ignition, coils and the switch of ignition, spark plug, wire of low and high voltage.
In this system of ignition the contactless magnetic system which elements are located in the distributor of ignition is used and include a distributor rotor, a touch winding, the mechanical centrifugal regulator of an advancing of ignition, the vacuum regulator of an advancing of ignition and the switchboard. The last represents electronic knot therefore care of contact group as in the mechanical breaker, it is not required.
In electronic system of ignition tension of ignition makes more than 30 kV. Under adverse circumstances (the increased humidity in a motor compartment) peaks of tension can punch isolation and at a contact to cause shock. In order to avoid injuries and damages of system of ignition during the work with it it is necessary to fulfill the following requirements:
– not to touch by a hand and not to disconnect an ignition wire at the working engine or a provorachivaniye of a bent shaft of the engine a starter;
– to disconnect wires of system of ignition, it is possible to connect and switch-off any measuring devices only at the switched-off ignition;
– it is impossible to install the ignition coil intended for system with the breaker;
– when heating over 80 °C (when coloring the car) it is impossible to launch the engine directly after heating;
– you carry out a wash of the engine only at the idle engine;
– when carrying out electrowelding works it is necessary to switch-off the rechargeable battery;
– it is forbidden to carry out works with system of ignition to persons with an electropacemaker.
Check of system of ignition
If the starter rotates a bent shaft, but the engine is not launched, disconnect a wire from a spark plug, bring it to the bared site of "mass" of the car on distance about 6 mm and ask the assistant to include a starter. During check of sparking hold a wire of high voltage special nippers (fig. 7.1).
If sparking is not observed, check in just the same way existence of a spark in the following cylinder. Emergence of a spark and the subsequent its loss is criterion of lack of sparking.
If the stable spark is observed, check candles and/or supply of fuel.
If the spark weak or absolutely is absent, disconnect an ignition coil wire from the ignition distributor, bring it approximately on 6 mm to the bared site of "mass" of the car and check sparking the same as it is described.
If there is no spark, check the ignition coil.
If the spark is, check a condition of a cover of the distributor of ignition and/or a rotor of the distributor.
A further inspection of system of ignition needs to be carried out in the service center or a workshop.